Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Magic School Bus: Latino Express Edition

 Last Friday we hopped on a school bus. Not just any school bus.
The Latino Express!

To get to this school bus, though, we had to take another regular public bus. Here's a nice inside look of the Chicago CTA. In case you were curious. Yes, it looks like any other public bus. I was sitting in the back seat, like a #boss.

We took the school bus to Little Village, a primarily latino community. I'd only been there once, despite workign for a newspaper that caters towards neighborhoods like this one. And even when I went, I just went straight to the church (Pius Parish) where the event that I was covering was held. So this was a very important trip for me. Now, four things that come to mind when I think of Little Village (or "La Villita"):
-Latino (duh)
-gentrification (everywhere, it seems like)
-environmental justice/contraversy (the core course unit we're on right now)
-murals

There were beautiful murals everywhere! La Villita really makes one appreciate city art. Grafitti is not criminal. Grafitti=public art. Give it the R.E.S.P.E.C.T it deserves.




 Had really delicious mexican food, and learned more about the Cook County Jail. That place makes me ashamed to be an American. I wrote an article about it and the state of mental health clinics in Chicago for Extra: http://extranews.net/local-advocates-for-improvement-in-mental-health-services.html

Later on, I went to an experimental music discussion/performance with my arts seminar class.

Let's just say, it was very experimental. This lasted a very long time. It's a good exercise in open-mindedness and tolerance for all types of artistic expression...




It sounds like they're warming up. They're not.

On the way back, I saw a new hairstyle I'd never seen before! Do you think I should get it!?




And when I arrived at my apartment, I noticed they changed our elevator quote of the day.


In this polar vortex life, sunny smiles are extra important. Now go get on a bus that goes from somewhere to anywhere, and "make the day worth living".

--Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment