Tuesday, April 15, 2014

PhotoBlog Recap

Yo!
Title speaks for itself.








On Thursday I went to the Chicago chapter convention of the NAHJ (National Association of Hispanic Journalists) as a "young professional Latina journalist". It was held at the UnivisiĆ³n Headquarters, which was super cool because we got a tour of their studio. Look at me! I swapped business cards with some VIP's and had some meaningful convos.

This is Ms. Dorothy, our Core Corse instructor! She took us on a tour of her old stompin' ground--the Bronzeville neighborhood. I really appreciated this because I would never have gone to this neighborhood if it hadn't been for core course. And even if I had, I wouldn't have known the meaning behind all of the landmarks there. I probably wouldn't have even recognized the landmarks as landmarks. #GenerallyOblivious

We went to a police station in Bronzeville that had a bunch of murals. These murals are part of the PErcent for Art Ordinance. This ordinance says that a specific percentage of money going towards the creation/renovation of a chicago public building must go towards public art in the building. Of that percentage, half of the money must go towards bringing artists that are local to Chicago. Chicago was the first city in the nation to have something like this! #NotTheSecondCity



Wow, I really wish I could remember what this statue represented. I  thought it was cool enough to take a picture of it. Ms. Dorothy, if you're reading this, help?
This is the music artist based in Minneapolis, Caroline Smith. I went to her concert at a bar called Schubas. It was amazing! I included a video below. #Besties

 

I didn't record it, but I really like her song called Half About Being A Woman. Here's a sample of the lyrics:

"Being a woman
Is half about being wrong
The other half led me to be singing this song "

Also check out her song "Child of Moving On"  (<<that's a link. You can click it! :O  #Technology)

Two girls from Germany, Junika and Liz, who I didn't know came and stayed with me this weekend. It's a friend of a friend ofa friend thing. So we took pics at the bean and walked down the Magnificent Mile #StillATourist

2nd Story is a like NPR's The Moth but more chill. Like Katie said, they gave us cupcakes. Mine was German Chocolate. Not that you care. I'm just bragging.

Speaking of The Moth... Last night I went to the Moth event in Chicago! The topic was "song". Our very own ISP instructor Jason Pallas performed! Learned new things about Jason #PeopleAreComplicated

So The Moth event was held at Haymarket Bar and on our way back to the El, we ran into HarpoStudios! Too bad Oprah's getting rid of it. #TooGoodForOprah

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. They say photos speak louder than words. Well, I'm either a really bad photographer, or those expressions are some BS, Kodak propaganda, because despite my best efforts to keep this just a photoblog, I couldn't help but include some detailed captions.
A picture might tell a 1,000 words, but can it really tell the whole story?


--Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment