Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Rainbow: PUSHes Me towards Spirituality

Hyde Park underpass
"Basically, I was coming from a disaster lifestyle. Now I'm in tune. I'm just walking my faith now."

Do you walk your faith? I would, if I had faith to walk. I grew up in a secular family. My mom dabbled with Buddhism, and my brother and I got presents for Easter, Christmas, and The Three Kings (Los Reyes Magos, a catholic thing). That's the extent of my religious affiliation. I've never read the bible, and the most times I've been near a bible has been in hotel rooms.

I've always wished I was more spiritual. I've always wished that when times got rough, I had a faith I could turn to for security and peace of mind.

When I was little, my two best friends came from small town, God-fearing families. One of them couldn't read books like Harry Potter ("of the devil") and went to church 4 times a week. She always went on these retreats and I was really jealous. My parents wouldn't let me go because they said I'd get brainwashed. I just wanted to make new friends and I was offended. I thought my 9-year old mind was impermeable and was insulted in their lack of trust. I also thought they were demonizing religion the way my friend's parents demonized fantasy novels.

After a year in Mexico and moving to Grinnell, I started getting involved in the Jewish community at Grinnell. Jews are so cool. I was and still am both critical of and curious about religion.

Last Saturday I attended a religious-affiliated, community serviced based forum by an organization called Rainbow: Push. It's run by Reverend Jesse Jackson and it's mission is to elevate the African-American community in the United States. Every Saturday, his speech at the Rainbow:PUSH Coalition National Headquarters in Hyde Park, is broadcasted live around the world. I went as part of my neighborhood exploration assignment.





Rev. Martin Luther King III told the crowd that we must "comfort the disturbed and disturb the uncomfortable". Of religious differences, he said "What does it matter? God doesn't recognize denominations. He only recognizes people." He also spoke of his father: "he didn't pick up arms, he opened his arms".



This man waved his hand the whole time during the speech, as if he was conducting it. Sometimes he stood up. Another man to my left saw me staring at this guy and he whispered "he always does that. Everyone's got their own way, you know".


This is a singer/performer who thinks he's John Legend.

He wasn't nearly as good as the next man. Here's a snippet from a larger recording. It's hard to tell the power of his voice because my iPhone picked up the echoes more than his actual voice.

I didn't get a picture of him because I was too enthralled with his performance. I looked around me and the man who whispered to me earlier was hunched over himself, smiling, his eyes closed, his head moving side to side to the sound of the performer's voice. He was so within himself, or, as he would probably say, he was more outside of himself and closer to God.

I was also lucky enough to go to this forum on the day that marked the 26th anniversary of MLK's assasination. In honor of this anniversary, his son, MLK III, was guest speaker. So was another Reverend. They didn't preach God, though. They preached the employment of teachers, fighting for public schools, taking care of our elderly, helping our neighbors. They preached, most of all, for equality.

I spoke with an older couple named Jameson and Beverly in between speakers. They've been going to the forum together for over 30 years. They said they believe in Jesse Jackson and what he does. When I asked about the scandal with his son, they said they don't mind. Why? They have faith.

I held hands with community members and while they prayed for people in need, I hoped for them. It's the best I can do. I know some might say praying isn't the same as hoping, but I have a feeling that the people in the Rainbow: PUSH forum, would disagree.

--Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment