Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chicago Latino Film Festival: Gettin' Swanky

Black tights, silver eyeshadow, a leather jacket, 20+ business cards, and this






Then I was ready to attend the Chicago Latino Film Festival's Opening Night Gala. (<<check out link)

I felt a little over-dressed on the #6 bus on the way there.


Extra newspaper doesn't pay me monetarily for reporting for them, but they do repay me in other ways. They let me go to events like this to schmooze with the big wigs and sometimes interview incredibly talented directors.

The Festival's theme was Carmen Miranda. Carmen "Bananas is My Business" Miranda was a Brazilian who came to the U.S in the 50's and became a curvy, exotic Hollywood actress whose signature feature was the fruit on her head.

They had an impersonator of her. When I asked her what Carmen Miranda was famous for... she said "I don't know, they just told me to come here because my agency said I looked like Carmen Miranda. I think it's just because we're both Portuguese". Carmen Miranda was Brazilian. Brazilian. Not. Portuguese. Poor girl. #Models


The Gala was one part film screening, one part reception.

Part I: Screening

The movie was called Glories de Tango, or Tango Glories. It's an Argentinian film about relationships,  the dictatorship, and the power of Tango in their culture. The main character is Fermín, a man who, swallowed by the ghosts from his past, can only speak in poetic Tango lyrics. It was a great film.

The gala started at AMC theaters in River North. With my press pass, I felt like one V.I.P. The press got to sit up front so we could take good pictures.When I turned around, this is what it looked like.



I saw some speakers

Mayor Rahm Emmanuel

...I forget who this dude is.

Pepe Vargas, founder

Co-Directors of Glories de Tango, Pepe Vargas, and hand of annoying TV reporter

And made some live tweets, from both my account and Extra's



And then the movie began.

Part II: Reception
The reception was at Embassy Suites Hotel. There were buffets of free food and an open bar. In the middle of the salon, there was a dance floor. At the beginning of the night, hired professionals danced Tango, Falmenco, and other traditional Latino dances.
So I started out the reception sipping red wine and taking pics and videos of the performers.


At the end, they brought out a Brazilian rock band and the attendees hopped on the dance floor. I saw old men with tupés shaking their butts with their wives and an awkward hipster white guy trying to dance salsa. It was great. I took some pictures and then dove in.

I ended the night being good friends with Pepe Vargas, founder, chatting up Latino public radio producers, interviewing the directors and writer of Glories de Tango, and dancing.

I also mistook the Consulate of Argentenia for an actor in the Tango movie... oops.

I'm all out of my own business cards, but I have a handful of other's cards. I think that's what you call a night well spent.





No comments:

Post a Comment