Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Celebrating Chicago: Part II

Hi everyone, Liane here with part two of my series Celebrating Chicago.

I dedicate this reflection to the CTA; because it is something I will miss the most from my time here. Chicago's very well planned public transit system enables most-anyone to get to a destination without needing a car. That is something very few other cities can boast.

CTA's Green Line in West Garfield Park.
I have learned how to navigate this city so well through a combination of still using a "non-smart" phone, looking up directions ahead of time, and riding the CTA to get everywhere I need to. In fact, I feel more confident navigating Chicago than any other city I have spent an extended amount of time in. This speaks volumes for how amazing the Chicago public transportation is.

CTA "el" map (courtesy of http://www.evl.uic.edu/aej/424/pics/ctatrainmap.png)
 
There is something so special about Chicago's elevated train system. I love the history it represents; but, I also treasure the unique vantage point riding the "el" allows you. As you travel through neighborhoods you see it from above, and it enables you to get a sense of the community before you ever step foot in it.

Looking towards the Loop from the Green Line stop in West Garfield Park.

You can tell a lot about the area you are in based on the way the train station looks. Many entrances are decorated with works from local artists. There are also performance areas at certain stops. I have had the great pleasure of hearing some very talented musicians while waiting for my train.

Pilsen's 18th Street CTA "el" stop.
 
CTA Roosevelt "el" station.

I will miss the rush of wind that comes with a train speeding by as it comes into the stop; I will miss the people watching of the CTA; I will miss the voice of the CTA informing me of my location throughout my entire ride. I will miss the CTA!

No comments:

Post a Comment