Thursday, October 17, 2013

Okay I'm Back

So, I know it's been a while guys. I've been busy--promise I have metric ton of stuff to tell you about. Lucky for you guys, Vaughn's been keeping you nicely updated on most things.

I think I'll talk about my ISP a little first then we'll get around to my internship, because both things are getting really exciting right now. So, for my ISP, I'm really interested in cat-calling. Before I'd come to Chicago, I don't think I'd ever been cat-called (or as we say in my neck of the woods, "hollered at"). It's come as a real shock to me. So, for my ISP, I'm going to interview different women from around Chicago to talk about their experience. I'll not bore you with the details quite yet (actually I just don't want to make any promises about he end product), but it should be pretty cool. I'll at least learn some interesting stuff, for sure.

And my internship is starting to ramp up. I'll be working to network for the Peace Parks of North Lawndale project, involving transforming 10 vacant lots into park spaces for the community. I get to bump elbows with a lot of Lawndale's most important faces and learn about urban planning and arts as community connectors--that's right up my alley.

And, besides that, I've just been having an all around exciting time in Chi City. Like, look at this:
I got to meet Van Gogh at the Art Institute. Super fly. And for my internship we took a group of kids to the Field Museum and I got to meet Sue!
Wunderbar! (That means "wonderful" when English people say it. It's a German word. It actually means something else. At least, that's what my dad says.) I also took a random adventure to Wilmette, a Chicago 'burb, and saw the Bahai House of Worship. It's very impressive.
Also, I was just blown away by Wilmette. All the houses are so lovely and there's yards and trees and brick-paved roads and stuff. Very different from Uptown, where I live. It's crazy to think that just a half-hour on the train away that things are so different. It's enough to turn your brain to peanut butter.

And, here's a bonus pick, just to remind you all that sexism exists (and also to make you laugh because why is this real?).
(I'm talking about the "Men Only" hotel by the way)

Well, as Tigger used to say: TTFN.
(Ta Ta For Now) (Tigger was ahead of the times).

Yours,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment