Wednesday, October 23, 2013

(A Late) Five on Friday

So last week kind of got away from me... So this Five on Friday post from last week is being posted now. Since I've finished it you might understand why I got behind and am posting it now. 





I can officially say that I can start on my ISP. I wrote earlier this week about turning in the proposal. Well I passed the first stage! Que. the jumping up and down. But its an up hill battle from here. I figured out we only have 8 weeks till the final presentation. Time to get a move on... 

The Apple Computer at the ACM Office
This picture might sum it all up for me... 
But mainly because I've been playing on this gem all week. Mainly in Adobe Illustrator for my ISP. 
ACM really does hook up its students. 

Makerspace at Harold Washington 
Our ISP group came together to go to another makerspace in the city. Unlike Pumping Station One the Makerspace at Harold Washington Public Library was placed in a more educational setting. The space provides educational workshops on laser cutters and 3-d printers. 
We were taught how to use a free design software InkScape to alter text. Our ending product was a key chain! 






Jane Adams Hull House Soup Night
Hull House was a settlement house co-founded by Jane Adams in the late 1800s. It served as a pillar to Chicago during its operation. Today very little of the full settlement was is still in tacked today. However, the main house of the settlement (Hull House) has been turned into a museum. Parallel to the museum is a dining hall where the museum holds events on a regular schedule. 
As a group our Art Seminar class attended a soup night called "Re-Thinking Soup". Where we were provided soup while we listened to Susan Levine and Nadia Sulayman discuss the state of school lunches today. It was a really enlightening experience and discussion and I personally look forward to going to another event held there. 





Ann Hamilton at The Poetry Foundation
For those of you that do not know who Ann Hamilton is.. please go ahead and click here. The biography on the linked page can do more justice of explaining Ann than I can. Last thursday night my Art Seminar class made our way downtown. There at the Poetry Foundation we listened to Ann Hamilton, Jessica Stockholder and Srikanth Reddy.  The main event of the night was Ann Hamilton explaining the language and nature of her latest installment "The Event of a Thread". 

 Outside of the Poetry Foundation
Ann Hamilton speaking on Event of a Thread
*Photos taken by ACM Student Carly Ellefsen

Centerline 2013 at Zhou B Art Center  

The name of the exhibit almost says it all. Centerline, is the annual show showcasing the artists located in the Zhou B Art Center. The curator happened to be my internship supervisor, Robin Rios. As part of the Zhou B family 4Art artists were also in the show. 
Now, usually interns work mondays and wednesdays in the program. For me the internship days tend to be a little more vexed. Like most galleries around the city, 4Art is closed on Mondays. This detailed changed my internship days to Wednesday and Saturdays. 
This weekend however I was even busier, and worked all weekend. Friday through Sunday. 
Centerline was not the only event planned for the weekend at Zhou B. The center and the foundation gardens were both Open House Chicago locations. 



No comments:

Post a Comment