Monday, October 14, 2013

Five on Friday


Our one big assignment for the week had everyone's attention, and stress. But as the due date was today and we all survived; I can say that it was a good week. The large assignment I am referring to was our Neighborhood Guided Tours. As neighborhood groups, we had to compile a tour to highlight the "assets" that were located in our neighborhood. Along with giving a guided hour tour to the program students we also had to feed them. Even though the tours and asset mapping took up most of my week. I was still able to explore the city and find new things about Chicago. So drum roll please, here is this week's five on Friday! 




This Sunday my roommate and I ran in our first Chicago 5k. Since being in Chicago I have upped my running habits and workouts. So having this 5k planned was really exciting not to mention running it with Carly. We couldn't have asked for a better day for the race to fall on. It was one of those perfect fall days, one that you can usually only imagine Chicago to be. The race started on the University of Chicago's campus in the quad, went through hyde park, partly on the lake front trail and ended back on the university's campus. When the race finished we were happy to see some of the students from the program cheering us on at the finish line. 
Carly and I did a great job in our division. I placed 10th in our age division (20-24) and Carly placed 25th. We've already signed up for another race at the end of month! Must have the running fever from all the Chicago Marathon buzz going on that is happening this Sunday.


Chicago Cultural Center

Downtown in the old Chicago Public Library lies a true treasure! This treasure is the Chicago Cultural Center. Earlier this week as a group my art seminar class visited the site. Glimery mosaics immediately caught my eye as I entered the building. As I traveled up the winding staircases I was stuck with awe; as I found myself standing under a huge dome. 
Other than the outstanding interior and exterior of the building the Center was host of numorous exhibits free to the public. A interactive light exhibit called Shift was a group favorite. The artists installed three different light shows that had the viewers be a large part of the work. Here are some pictures from the amazing show. 
Another amazing find our class had in the Center was StoryCorps. StoryCorp is an nonprofit organization with the mission of recording everyday americans stories. There we were able to listen to amazing stories and sign up to tell our own. When you sign up, you come in for 40 mins to record the story. You walk out with a broadcast quality CD of the recording. It was really interesting to hear about.. here is a link if you are interested in what they are all about. 



Mello Yellow in Hyde Park
For some reason this week I've eaten out a lot. I don't know if it was just that I was on the go all throughout the week or if I was just being lazy. However, whatever the reason I was able to find some really good places to eat. My favorite place that I ate at this week was Mello Yellow in Hyde Park. Before this week I hadn't explored much of 53rd street. But wow now I know that place like the back of my hand. Mello Yellow is a locally owner family restaurant that has been in Hyde Park over 20 years. They are famous for there Chicken and Waffles and I would recommend them! 

NATALIA KILLS: Midnight Concert
So if you don't know who Natalia Kills is... You might want to look her up right now. She is going to be the next big thing. Anyway, on a completely spontaneous whim a group of program students travel north to Boytown from Hyde Park. Without any preconceived notions to what we were going to we found ourselves in a gay bar being serenaded by drag queens. Maybe, not the most typical Wednesday night.. But I don't regret my decision to going out that night. We were able to truly experience the city and listen to great performance as well!  



Kilwin's Chocolate Shop on 53rd in Hyde Park
Yes, one of the things I love about Hyde Park as you can tell is the food. I stumbled upon this gem the other day and immediately fell in love. Kilwin's is a locally owned chocolate and ice cream shop. A must get if you visit is the Hyde Park Mud Fudge. 










No comments:

Post a Comment