Monday, April 29, 2013

How is it almost May already?

Wow, these past few weeks have been super busy! With the end of the program in three weeks, we have been working hard on our final projects for each of our classes. Here are a few updates on my classes:

For seminar, we are currently working on our human rights campaign. My group is working together with Cease Fire (also known as Cure Violence) to create some kind of fundraising project. In the recent events with the Boston marathon, we came up with the idea of creating a Cease Fire charity team for the Chicago marathon to help prevent violence in Chicago. We sat down with Cease Fire and discussed the possibility and they loved the idea! So we are going to spend the next week researching how to become a charity team and organize all the different components of it. It may be too short of notice to get it all figured out for this coming marathon, but hopefully we can kick start it for next year!

For Core class, we are working on our asset mapping projects. Throughout the entire semester, we have been exploring our neighborhoods (Hyde Park and Logan Square) and looking at all the different assets they have to offer. Such assests include restaurants, business, cultural events, influential people, etc. We are now working on combining all the different assets into a presentation to present to the class! This coming Friday, we are working with high school juniors on their essay component of their applications to college. It should be fun! This past week, we had to pretend we were had children in the Chicago Public Schools and had to decide where they would go to high school. It was a very time consuming and stressful process! My "son" was a talented dancer who did not receive very good grades at school. I had to take all that into consideration when looking at all the different schools. I ended up deciding to have him audition for a charter school that focused on the arts. Unfortunately through a random drawing, he was not accepted into the school. Even though it was all fake, I still felt really upset at the whole process! I cannot even imagine how it would feel to actually be in that situation.

My independent study project is....getting there. I really just need to focus and sit down to write out my paper. I have ran with four different running clubs and sat down with the president of Girls on the Run, a super awesome after school running program for girls in the city. Now I just need to compile everything I have learned and create a final product out of it! That is my goal this week :)

We only have two more weeks left of our internships. I have really been enjoying my time at Girls in the Game. I have two after school sites that I coach at, and I absolutely love the girls. They are so great, and I have such a fun time with them! I have also been working on reaching out to community organization about promoting our Super Saturday event. I have spent the last three months researching all the community organizations in our eight target communities. It has been such a long process, but I love seeing the finished product being put to use! I think I ended up with around 200 different organizations.

I think that is all the updates I have for now! I will definitely post later in the week! Hopefully with pictures after our Cubs game on Wednesday!

Author: Maria W.

No comments:

Post a Comment