Sunday, February 24, 2013

Outside of class :)

 
Hello, this is Maria again! I just wanted to write a little about life here outside of the classes and internship! First, if you love to run outside with a great view such as this....

then this program is for you ;) It was around 50 degrees here on Monday, so I got to go on a nice jog outside, right along the lake. The sun was out when I first started my run, so it was absolutely beautiful :) You don't even remember you're running! (okay...maybe after a little while you do) I cannot wait for it to get warmer and stay warm, so I can do this much more often :)

This weekend, I was able to do many awesome things with the other students in the program. Right after Core couse ended on Friday, we went and got deep dish pizza! We went to the original Uno's downtown, and it was absolutely delicious. We are now thinking of making it our Friday tradition. Sounds great to me!

On Saturday night, we all went over to one of the Logan Square apartments. We all brought a type of snack and just chilled and ate for awhile. Then we headed down to this place called Cafe Mustache, where they had live music. It was a super chill, hispter place. I loved it, and the music was awesome. I honestly could have sat there for hours! Logan Square is many of those little, cute cafes. It is a much more vibrant community than Hyde Park because there are many young people that are starting to move back into the neighborhood.

 
Lastly, this morning, my roommate and I went to the church called St. Sabina, where the well-known Father Pfleger preaches. All I can say is wow. It was not the normal church experience I have had in the past. It was an almost three hour service, full of music, praising, and lots of preaching. It was incredible. Father Pfleger is well known throughout Chicago for many things, but probably the most recent is his action against gang violence. He recently started a basketball league, where gang members participated in friendly competition. I could write pages about things Father Pfleger has done because he has been so involved. I became interested in going to his church after we happened to see him last Friday at City Hall during Core class. I hope to visit other churches throughout the city during my stay here!

                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment