Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's Been a While

Wow guys. Sorry I totally dropped you on your bum--I've been around 400 different kinds of busy. Let me give you the DL on some crazy life stuff:

So, for my internship, I've been working on a huge project: the Peace Parks of North Lawndale. It's in response to the 10,000 Ripples project, created by artist Indira Johnson. She gave 10 different neighborhoods in Chicago 10 Buddha heads as a symbol of peace. Part of the gift of the Buddha heads was a challenge to the communities to find a way to promote peace. North Lawndale's response was the Peace Parks--the revitalization of 10 vacant lots into beautiful parks.

Basically, I've been running all over Lawndale (a good hour and a half from my apartment) talking to community organizations trying to get their support and emailing tons of people who've already agreed to help, all in preparation for our press conference yesterday. Yeah, yesterday. So, there's that to keep in mind. Also, we served hot chocolate and passed out brochures and all kinds of things. Busy busy busy busy....

Then, as Vaughn told you guys, our ISP group hosted the Chicago History Murder Mystery (I can't deal with how clever we are either). I was the dashing John Dillinger (okay, yeah, he was a mobster in real life but I look super good with a beard).
(No shave November lol)

Also, my hair is so curly that pounds of hair cream could not hold down its whimsy)

I was on both the story group and the decorating group for this project. So I had a hand in writing the actual story and in decorating the space. I made a linocut (a carving made in a linoleum plate) and used it to stamp read paint onto walls to give it a wall paper vibe.
(my cool linocut)

Pretty fly. Pretty fly. I made that design up. Plus, this was kind of creepy. It looks more bloody in person.

And we had a really intense writing workshop in my Art Seminar with Shanna Yetman, where we wrote 5-6 page creative nonfictions and reviewed them for each other. It was a really great experience. I'm primarily a visual artist, so it was really different for me to work through text.

I also got to visit my college and go home for the first time since I've been here. I desperately missed my friends and my mom, so that was a much needed relief. 

Also, Halloween was a thing that I did. My friend Patricia and I went to Chicago Hot Glass for a glass blowing event. Artists and their apprentices were there doing demonstrations and talking with interested people. Plus you got $5 off on entry with a costume.
(we're so spooky)

Also, I had the best milkshake of my life this week. Like, oh my lord you have no idea. 

(it tasted like the food of God)

And today I visited the Graceland Cemetery (it was cool) and I visited La Tacorea, a Mexican/Korean fusion. It sounds horrible, but it's actually some of the best things I've ever eaten. I would recommend it!

So I guess I'm going to go back to the ol' grind now. I'll be better about keeping up now that these large events are out of the way and I have a little more time to manage.

Later,
Sara 


No comments:

Post a Comment