Friday, September 13, 2013

Welcome Home! Or at Least, Welcome Here

Well, the first week in Chicago went off without a hitch. But, hey, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start with some introductions.

My name is Sara. I'm a Junior Studio Art Major at Hanover College. I'm in Chicago to learn more about the world in the context of a real metropolis, seeing as I've never lived in a town with a population of more than 3,000 people. Now, that may worry you, dear reader. Sure, these near two weeks have been somewhat of a culture shock for me. However, for lack of better terms, I was spoiling for a fight with something new. With something different. I was willing to place my bets on good luck in Chicago. And I got it in spades. I mean, just look at my apartment building:

 Pensacola Place

That's a big difference from a 3-bedroom farmhouse on a dirt road. But, it's exciting to me. I love the raw newness. I love just being here. Just seeing something new, getting a new context for analysis of the world around me. I mean, the city is just so alive. The breeze sizzles with conversation, the smell of food, a whiff of Lake Michigan (and sometimes some nastier scents, but we'll not dwell on that).

And man, have things ever been packed in the way of scheduling. Orientation was so fast-paced and exciting. If I hadn't already been running on the compounded energies of that excitement, nervousness, and caffeine, I would have crashed and burned like a paper airplane in a volcano (or something more poetic, fill in the blanks). But, I think my favorite event was the city scavenger hunt. Basically, we had to run around in groups of 3 or 4 and take different modes of transportation (buses, the L, the good ole bipeds) to explore Chicago. So, you learn some practical knowledge (ie: buses aren't scary, bus drivers know everything, postal workers can direct you anywhere, etc) and some personal knowledge (you get to know how your teammates handle stress really really well after about the 4th time you get lost). Here's some of my favorite places:
The Center on Halstead (That's Sam, he's cool)

Cubs Stadium (I'm the ginger on the left)

This is just a fun picture of Sus on a Divvy Bike, enjoy

and the Art Institute

There's some really cool stuff hanging out in Chicago, if you're unaware. Come visit. Or, you know, come stay for a term or something. I recommend it and I've been here less than a month. 

Speaking of cool things in Chicago, I'd just like to bring up my internship (my interview went swimmingly, thanks to the workshops we did in orientation *thanks*). I work at the Chicago Urban Arts Retreat Center. It's a really fun place that works to promote peace and equality on a local and global scale. Right now I'm working on connecting with local youth groups to participate in the (free) Peace by Piece Youth Fashion Show. Kids get the chance to create fashions that promote peace while connecting with their community in a positive way. The event is on September 28th at the Gorilla Tango Theater. (By the way, if you know any youth groups that might like to participate or would like to sponsor a group, you can email me at winess15@hanover.edu.)

Another fun place to visit is the Museum of Contemporary Art. My ISP class took a visit there this week. That was really fun and amazing (also, it's free on Tuesdays, crazy right? Bet you can't guess what day we went). Some of the art we saw really made an impression on me, so I highly recommend making the trip (especially on a Tuesday, if you catch my drift).

I'll update you guys again ASAP with more of my adventures in the Second City. Now, it's bedtime for this student.

Yours,
Sara Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment